Go Blackhawks!!!! Our great city’s hockey team has once again won the Stanley Cup! We’re so excited to join our fellow Chicagoans in the celebrations, including the parade starting at the United Center on Friday and ending with a rally at Grant Park at 11 a.m.
The Chicago Police have made it very clear that safety will be the city’s highest priority. With an estimated more than 2 million in attendance for the 2010 Blackhawk festivities, and the recent tragedy at the Boston Marathon, safety is even more of a concern with such a huge crowd.
Here are some safety tips to ensure the best possible experience:
- Leave the cooler at home. There is a zero tolerance for alcohol consumption on the public way, and anyone with a cooler will be turned away by the Chicago Police.
- Travel lightly. Backpacks are discouraged, and will be thoroughly searched.
- Secure your wallet or bag and wear comfortable shoes.
- Carry water, hydrate often and avoid drinks with sugar and caffeine.
- Bring anti-bacterial sanitizer.
- Choose a landmark where everyone in your group can gather before heading home. Folks can become separated in large crowds.
- Keep a buddy with you for support in the crowds and hot weather.
- Wear sunscreen, a hat and cool, light clothing.
- If lightning appears, seek shelter immediately.
For more information about the parade route, check out more details here, including a live stream of the event! Enjoy the parade! Go Hawks!