VinTech often discusses the importance of having a good security system, but good lighting is a key element. We encourage clients to use LED lighting, or light-emitting diodes, and here’s the top 5 reasons why.
1. Longevity – Did you know LED bulbs last approximately 50,000 hours or 25 years. Compare this to incandescent bulbs, which last approximately 5000 hours, or about a year. Imagine only having to replace a light bulb every couple decades!
2. Energy Savings- LED light bulbs consume far less energy. For example, if you replace all your 60w light bulbs with Zenigata LED light bulbs rated at 6.7 watts, they would consume 1/10th (or 90% less) electricity. When designed properly, an LED circuit will approach 80% efficiency, which means 80% of the electrical energy is converted to light energy. The remaining 20% is lost as heat energy. Compare that with incandescent bulbs which operate at about 20% efficiency (80% of the electrical energy is lost as heat).
3. Cost Savings over Time- Although LED bulbs are much more costly initially (for now), the savings will add up from lower energy consumption, and fewer bulbs needing to be replaced. For example, if a 100 Watt incandescent bulb is used for 1 year, with an electrical cost of 10 cents/kilowatt hour, $88 will be spent on electricity costs. Of the $88 expense, $70 will have been used to heat the room, not light the room. If an 80% efficient LED system had been used, the electricity cost would be $23 per year – there would be a cost savings of $65 on electricity during the year. Realistically the cost savings would be higher as most incandescent light bulbs blow out within a year and require replacements whereas LED light bulbs can be used easily for a decade without burning out.Another financial factor to consider is labor costs for replacing those hard to reach bulbs (for commercial properties).
4. More Environmentally Friendly- LED bulbs don’t contain toxic mercury vapor or other unpleasant materials, and therefore do not pose a serious health risk, or require tiresome and expensive disposal procedures to protect the environment.
5. Perfect for Security Lighting- Install high power LED motion activated lighting to deter trespassers. When activated by a approaching criminal, the bright light typically startles the intruder sending them on to the next house. Bonus for these LED flood lights- you will rarely have to replace them!
LED in Chicago
An example of LED lighting here in Chicago is the famous Crown Fountain in Millennium Park. The two 50 foot towers contain over one million LEDs. The color-changing LED lighting fixtures have approximately 70 units per tower. “LEDs were chosen because they were viewed as the lowest maintenance option of the possible color changing fixtures. LEDs fit into an electrical circuit, causing illumination by the movement of electrons in the semiconductor material and making a filament unnecessary, so the bulbs never burn out and do not get too hot.”
The architects for this design knew the LEDs would be bright, durable, dependable, and most importantly, long lasting for future generations to enjoy!
LED is quickly pioneering the lighting world, and we expect it to grow exponentially in the near future. We believe more residents, in addition to commercial properties, will adopt this lighting technology over their old bulbs.
Stay tuned to see what VinTech will be offering in the near future for all your LED security lighting solutions!