During the summer days while we enjoy fun with the family away from home, thieves are on the look-out for items which can be easily taken in moments. Unlocked doors, open windows, and open garage doors all provide a temptation to steal valuables — bikes, packages, cell phones, purses — left in plain view. Blooming trees and overgrown shrubs can also provide burglars with places to hide.
Last year (2014) in Chicago, property crime hit its highest rate during the summer months.
VinTech will help you prepare your property by planning ahead this summer to outsmart your common thief. Here are a few tips to make your summer a safe one:
- Install lighting, such as motion lights or dusk to dawn detector lights, on your home’s exterior.
- Trim shrubbery around your home to eliminate hiding places.
- Your address should be clearly visible from the street for emergency and identification purposes.
- Close and lock your garage door when you are not nearby. When the garage door is open, place valuables stored in the garage in a locking device not visible from the street.
- Do not leave bikes unattended. Lock your bikes, even if you are going to be away for only a few moments.
- If you sleep on the second floor of your home, keep all first floor doors and windows closed and locked.
- Be aware of your surroundings and those around you when you walk, jog, or bike.
- Stop all deliveries of mail and newspapers when on vacation.
- Don’t discuss your vacation plans — at the grocery store, gym, etc. — as you never know who might be listening.
- Use timers to light your home inside and outside.
- Ask a trusted neighbor to pick up flyers or other publications that might be left while you are away.
Don’t make it easy for a burglar to make you a victim!!